Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Have You Ever Wanted to See Your Favorite Characters Dance? Who Hasn't?

Jesse Lonergan is a comic book writer and artist working straight out of Somerville, Mass. Recently, I interviewed him for a piece I'm working on about local Boston artists, and it went swimmingly. He was super welcoming and even allowed me to conduct the interview from his studio, which no other artist yet had allowed.

During the interview I noticed, from the corner of my eye, a brightly illustrated collection of Spider-Man characters. Because I can't help myself when it comes to Spidey, I asked him if I could take a look. He kind of chuckled and grabbed the poster they were drawn on. "They are for my blog, Dancer a Day," he said and he floated it in front of my eyes.

What I saw, without exaggeration, was glorious. It was Spider-man, Hobgoblin, Doctor Octopus, and various other Spidey characters all drawn-- DANCING. Yes, dancing. Gettin' their groove on. Cuttin' a rug. It was too much for my weak constitution to handle. In fear of nerding out all over him I politely thanked him for showing me and tried with desperation to shield my eyes from its greatness.

When I arrived back home, after what I must say was a very successful interview, I was struck down by the realization that he said it was for his blog. TO THE INTERNET!

To say the least, Mr. Lonergan's tumblr is quite a sight to see. It is pages and pages of your favorite fictional characters bringing the funk it. Plus, they are all captioned so perfectly that I could just die on the floor in pure glee. Jesse, are you reading my diary. This is exactly what I wished for.

So, if you can't tell, I think this blog is great. You should check it out here. Also, you should check out some of Lonergan's other work like Flowers & Fade and Joe & Azat. Plus, if you live in Boston and like comics, you should be picking up local artists anyway. You can use Amazon, but I suggest tracking down copies at local shops.

So if I still haven't persuaded you to check it out, here are some of my faves...




No comments:

Post a Comment