Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Boston Street Sighting: Snakes in a Restaurant

Ok, maybe it's not nearly as scary or as campy as the title sounds, but it still totally happened.

I was sitting at Scoozi, minding my own business, eating a roasted eggplant...thing (which was delicious, you should totally try it)...when a woman asks me if I can move the empty chair next to me.

"Do you mind if I move this chair? I need to set my snakes down on something."

Her snakes. Two of them. Just tucked away all willy-nilly in two plastic Ziplock boxes.



I stared at them for a moment with my eyes far wider than they would ever be in a snake-less eating establishment, then told her it was ok. I did, however, make my voice go all high and squeaky just so she knew just how not ok this was, and to, of course, to assert my masculinity.

Wait. Hold up. Just a minute. I was overreacting. This wasn't weird. This was fucking awesome. Quite possibly the the most fucking awesome thing I had seen in some time. This chick had two snakes that she carried around with her to go wine and dine. Granted, it wasn't like she was Britney Spears-ing it all down Newbury Street, but she did still have two sizable snakes just hanging around with her.

Granted, they were her boyfriend's, and granted, she was taking them to the vet, but the lady was still basically a Sri Lankan snake charmer in my eyes.

Turns out, snake owners are not all nefarious 13 year old boys who like that feed defenseless rodents to their insatiable killing machines. Some of them are pretty cool. And some of them even get Salad Nicois at Scoozi.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I could eat with snakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :/. You are so brave!!!!!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete