Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Restaurant Review: The Abby

My lunch at The Abby was not planned. See, I thought I had made my eye doctor appointment for the fourth of July, but of course I hadn't. How silly of me, nothing is open on the day America won their independence from over priced tea--or whatever. So even though my quest for eye health was ill-fated, I still was able to pop in enjoy a nice lunch at The Abby with Kayla.

                                                                                                                                                       Source: Boston Burger Blog


The first thing we noticed about The Abby was just how adorable it is. Located right in Washington Sq., this little place packs a wallop. With big windows that let in beautiful natural light and a quaint little open kitchen, the interior of the restaurant is instantly inviting. The service was also very friendly. Even though our server was obviously busy she never once neglected us of feared away from small chit chat. Everything about this place just screamed inviting.

The lunch menu, while slightly limited, had a decent selection of of both lunch and brunch options. Kayla and I both enjoyed the falafel wrap, which was delicious and truly one of the better vegetarian options I've seen offered at a small place like this.



It was nice to walk in and not have to order just a salad or a half-assed vegetarian version of another menu item. We were a little disappointed by the lack of veggie options on the menu, but at least what they offered was a pleasant surprise.

Above: Kayla, pleasantly surprised. 

The dinner options fare much better when it comes to variety. There are several vegetarian options as well as fish and other assorted meats that just seem off the chain. Of course, I can't judge without trying them, so I guess I am just forced to go back and try their roasted cod with potato scallion pancake and shallot cream sauce. Kind of driving me crazy just thinking about it. The Abby also offers smaller dishes for those who aren't as hungry, or just want a snack with a beer. 


Oh yeah, that's right, the beer list. The glorious, glorious beer list. 


The beer selection is another area where The Abby really shines. Let me tell you, these guys aren't messing around. With a wide selection of local, international and domestic beers on both bottle and draft you can tell that The Abby really enjoys their craft beers. Honestly, for being in Brookline, it is one of the better places in Boston to enjoy a local beer that isn't just a Sam Adams. A lot of other restaurants could really learn from The Abby's example.    


So with great food, friendly service, a lovely atmosphere, and a beer list that will take you a good long while to drink through, The Abby really deserves your attention. If you live in the area, or even if it's a bit of a trek, I suggest trying it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment